How long does SEO take to show results?
While each search engine optimization (SEO) strategy is different and the timeframe to see your results may vary, one clear fact is that unlike other digital marketing strategies, SEO doesn’t work instantly. Despite knowing this, many companies still wonder how long it will take to see positive results in their SEO positioning , and although it may be thought that the answer must be exact, in reality there are several factors that influence how quickly you can see the performance of your strategy.
The purpose of SEO is to improve your site to increase its visibility when people search for products, services or topics related to your business in search engines. The better the visibility of your pages, the more likely it is to attract customers and potential customers to contribute to the success of the brand . Sounds good right? However, as with many scenarios that lead to effective outcomes, reaching them involves a process. To help you prepare, as well as to understand how long it will take you to achieve the good results you expect in terms of SEO positioning , in this article we will tell you some key aspects to take into account.
Why is SEO a long-term strategy?
The search engine optimization process is an investment -of resources, skills and time- projected in the long term because, like any investment that guarantees results, it takes time to achieve growth and sustainability.
One of the main factors for this to happen in this way is the constant modification of the “rules of the game” to optimize SEO positioning . Google and other search engines update their algorithms frequently in order to improve the relevancy, quality, and overall user experience of searching. This forces companies to stay on top of current trends to ensure they continue to garner the best possible rankings.
On the other hand, changes in the way consumers conduct their searches are also evolving rapidly. Regardless of the market you are in, social, cultural transformations and other trends will have an impact on the SEO of your website. For this reason, knowing and implementing the most relevant keywords at all times is essential to promote positioning. Furthermore, as content and its formats evolve, businesses must also adjust to produce results that meet the needs of users.
All these challenges require adaptability and patience, and therefore take a while for SEO to deliver the desired returns.
Basic components of SEO
Good search engine optimization is characterized by using best practices to increase visibility and ensure better SEO positioning . These include:
On-site SEO: Also known as on-page SEO, it refers to the process of optimizing the pages of a site to improve the positioning and user experience. It includes elements such as: internal links, html code, title tags, URL optimization, images, user experience (UX), technical SEO and content optimization .
- Off-site SEO: Also known as off-page SEO, it refers to all the actions that are carried out outside the website to positively impact SEO positioning . Some of these tactics are: social media marketing, link building to strengthen page authority and trust flow, among other metrics .
How to know if you are executing your SEO strategy correctly?
As you already know, optimization for search engines -done correctly- is an investment that when it starts to give results, it does so in a constant and sustainable way, however, multiple efforts must be made to get to that point.
If you have a journey of one or a couple of months, it is likely that you still do not see the SEO positioning that you want to achieve in the future, but do not worry, this does not mean that the strategy is not working. To know if you are on the right track and you are doing it correctly, there are some key metrics that you should not lose sight of :
- Organic traffic: it is all the traffic that comes to your site from a search engine organically, that is, without monetary investment on your part.
- CTR (Click Through Rate): number of clicks that the website obtains in Google with respect to the number of impressions (you can see it in Google Search Console)
- Position of your website in the SERP of target keywords.
- Number of positioned pages: number of pages of your site that occupy an outstanding position in the ranking of results
- Number of backlinks: number of external links that link to your website
- Referral traffic or referrals: traffic that comes to your site from links from another website
- Page Authority (PA) and Domain Authority (DA): they refer to the relevance of a page regarding a specific theme or sector and the relevance of the entire website regarding a theme or industry, respectively.
- Brand mentions: all references and/or mentions of other sites talking about your brand, products or services.
- Conversion rate (CR): percentage of sessions in which a specific action considered as a conversion is carried out, some of these can be: register your data, click on a link, buy a product, etc.
When will you see the SEO results?
As we have seen, there are several elements that play a role in the effectiveness of SEO and therefore, this answer may vary. However, you can usually start to see the first results between 3 – 6 months, and these will be more evident around the 12 month line when it is more likely that you have already reached the first page or the first position. However, each SERP is different, and to have solid and sustainable results over time, it can take even a couple more years. But if you start working constantly on the application of the best practices to improve the SEO positioning of your website, rest assured that the effort will be worth it.
The development and execution of a successful SEO strategy requires time, knowledge, constant updating and other resources. Working with an SEO agency may be the best option to help you concentrate all those efforts with the certainty that they will give the expected results. Remember that the faster you start, the faster you will reap all the benefits that search engine optimization can bring to your business. Don’t get left behind.